Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Increased During Winter Months Due to Increased Use of Heaters: This Can Result In Personal Injury or Death
The risk of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning increases dramatically during the winter months as a result of the increased use of heating equipment to stay warm. The risk of serious harm is magnified as many of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to those of the fule and thus a proper diagnosis and treatment are often delayed.
Below is a list of recommended safetly tips. By carefully following these measures you can minimize the chane that you or a loved one is the victim of carbon monoxide poisoning related to heating:
* Install a UL-listed carbon monoxmide (CO) alarm on each floor of your home. If the alarm goes off, get ourtdoors to fresh air and call the fire departmenet. If you or your loved on experiences symptoms of CO poisoning, such as dizziness, headache, confusion, shortness of breath, or blurry vision, go to your local emergency room.
* Make sure heating equipment is installed properly. Have your heating system inspected by a specialist each year.
* Electrical space heaters pose less of a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning than those that burn fules such as kerosene.
* If you lose power during a storem, be careful not to use gasoline engines or burn charcoal in enclosed spaces – including a garage, even if the door is open. Never use gas stoves or ovens to heat your home.
* If you use a wood-burning stove, have the chimney connection and flue checked each year. Make sure the stove is placed on an approved stove board to protect the floor from heat and coals.
* Never use your range or oven to heat your home, even for a short time.
* Some hotels may have older heating systems that pose a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Consider traveling with a portable carbon monoxide detector, as only a handful of states require carbon monoxid detectors in hotels.
* If you are driving in a storm and get stuck in a snow drift, be sure to make sure your tail pipe is clear of snot before starting the engine to turn on the heat to warm the car. A clogged tail pipe can lead to CO build-up.
Because of the increased use of carbon monoxide producing appliances during the colder months, it is particularly important to be careful and to be mindful of the sysmptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning during the winter season. Prevention and awareness are the best ways to save lives.
- Another Helicopter Crash in Hawaii Killing Pilot and 2 Tourists
- Airport Operators May Have A Duty To Assure That Repair Facilities Or Visiting Mechanics Working At The Airport Have Sufficient Qualifications And Financial Responsibilty
- Update on Helicopter Crash in Hawaii that Occurred April 29, 2019
- Boeing Made the Choice it Had to Make
- Ethiopian Officials Determined that its Boeing Max 8 Crash Was an Aircraft Problem, Not a Pilot Problem