“Do ya – do ya – do ya – do ya wanna dance?” asked the car of the bicycle. And unfortunately, the car doesn’t hear, “No!” In fact, statistics show that fatal bicycle accidents are now up 12%!
Based on recent surveys why are fatal bicycle accidents increasing? For a number of reasons. Currently, the most common causes of fatal bicycle accidents are:
- Drivers are paying more attention to their cell phones than avoiding bicyclists.
- New bicyclists are less familiar with safe riding practices.
- More bicyclists are wearing earphones that dampen the sounds of approaching trucks and cars.
- Cities are slow to implement bike lanes.
- Fewer bicyclists are wearing impact worthy head gear or proper night reflective gear.
Now add to all of the above, the following: When’s the last time you saw more road space between cars and bikes? “Not Recently” is the answer. Our roads are getting more and more crowded. More cars + More bikes + More construction = less separation.
The narrower spaces between cars and bikes has become a new leading cause of fatal bicycle accidents. Now, throw in cell phones, earphones and non-existent bike lanes and you’ve got a really deadly combination.
Here are the keys to staying alive:
- Keep your separation from cars and car lanes, even if you have to slow down.
- Wear protective and reflective gear.
- Say “No” to dancing with cars.
If you or a loved one has been have been hurt in a bicycle accident, contact Bailey & Partners for a free consultation. Our bicycle accident attorneys stand ready to support you. Call us today: (310) 392-5000.
- Update: Boeing 737 Max 8 – Further Analysis Will Focus on More Obvious Flaws
- Prepare to Crash – With a Distracted Driver
- Enough Is Enough! Night EMS Helicoptors Should Be IFR-Certified And Flown By Two NVG-Equipped Pilots
- Piper PA-24-250 Comanche Crash in San Antonio – 3 Fatalities
- Boeing Max 8 Update: MCAS “Fix” from Canada